Since its first use in 1993 as an alternative to cellulose and fiberglass, spray foam insulation has gained tremendous recognition and patronage. This is not unconnected with its ability to prevent heat loss, ease of installation, and versatility.
However, to get the best experience from Spray Foam Insulation, you have to get a few things right. The right installation will give you the best insulation possible, whereas any installation errors will subject you to unpalatable experiences.
In view of this, it will be wise to consider these useful tips that will be instrumental to having the desired insulation for your home.
- Use the right installer: This is the most important step as other steps depend on it. You should choose an installer that has good service ethic, concerned about safety, and is equally committed to quality. If you get this, other processes are easy.
- Get the right product: Spray foam is a general term. It covers a wide range of materials that are very diverse in cost, value, and other properties. Therefore, one should conduct a thorough research to make sure to use the right product for your situation.
- Remove any obstacles: Obstacles during the spraying process may lead to a bad experience that will reflect on the output of the spray foam. If there are existing insulating systems, remove them in order to pave way for smooth transition to your new Spray Foam!
- Use the right ratio: Spray foam is a combination of two different materials. To ensure proper chemical reaction that will produce the best result, the ratio must be correct. This will improve the quality of your insulation, and the amount of money you will save each month. On the other hand, if the combination ratio is off it can produce poor quality and toxic insulation. While this does not happen often, make sure you are working with an experienced company. Although the factors that can affect the ratio vary, with the right tools, you should not have a problem.
- Consider wait time: Each lift should be considered as a new substrate. Due to the issues of pressure and heat, you should wait long enough for the previous layer to cool before mounting another layer on it. Your ability to wait will impact on the quality of the spray foam.
- Pay attention to the substrate: One of the factors that may affect the quality of spray foam is substrate. For instance, installation during winter may be affected by temperature. Cold substrate has the capacity to remove some of the heat needed by the foam to expand or bond properly. Too hot substrates are not advisable too, as they equally have the potential to cause quality issues. Therefore, you must prepare an environment that is conducive to the application of such substrates. You can achieve this by tweaking the environment to the right condition before commencing installation
- Use the right thickness: While some manufacturers suggest using a thickness of 6 inches, most manufacturers recommend lift thickness of about 1.5 to 2 inches. It is advisable that you use the right thickness recommended by the manufacturer for the best result.
These are some proven tips that professionals in the field use to get the best spray foam insulation. If you implement these useful tips, you will get the insulation right. Check with Insulation Wizards for more tips and tricks for not only Spray Foam but insulation in general.